I would be a runner.
I borrowed an old pair of Nikes, buckled Elliot into his buggy and away we went!
Okay, It Wasn’t Quite That Easy…
The Proverbial Carrot at the End of the Stick
I didn’t want to quit, but this running thing was hard. I needed something to help keep me on track… I needed… a new running outfit! So I set a goal for myself:
Goal: Run twice a week for one month.
Reward: New running outfit from Lululemon
This might not have been the right goal for everyone, but it worked perfectly for me, and of course once I got the new outfit I had no choice, but to get my money’s worth out of it… Not only that, but within 6 weeks my jeans weren’t snug anymore and I felt noticeably happier and healthier!
But That’s Not All…
Anyway…The Rest is History
Since the beginning I’ve run thousands of miles, taken literally hundreds of fitness classes and set many goals, which I then crushed. I even became a certified running coach!
In case you’re thinking, but I’m not a runner, I’m not fast enough, I can’t keep up… Remember, I never thought I would make it past one week!
Here are a few tips that have helped me along the way:
- Run Happy. Whatever it takes! Give yourself permission to do what is best for you.
- Fight the mental battle. Are you really hurt? Is it really that hard? Are you just tired? You can do this!
- Bring a friend or 7. That’s right, while it was me who dragged myself out of bed to train on those cold dark winter mornings and it was also me who went to those cycling classes every week for 5 years another very large part of it was the motivation I got from knowing my friends would be there sweating with me!
- Listen to Your body. One of the hardest things for an athlete to do is take a break, but If something doesn’t feel right don’t keep going. Remember if you take good care of yourself you’ll have a lot of miles ahead of you.
- Don’t quit on yourself. You. Are. A. Runner. It’s not about how fast or how far, it’s about getting it done and doing something for you!
- Make a playlist. For those days when your crew can’t make it, bring along some tunes to help pass the miles.
- Look good. Start every workout with fresh stylish gear! Nobody’s motivated when they don’t feel like they look good.
See you on the road…