Speaking of Hidden Gems
Because these staircases are steep, narrow, and located within residential neighborhoods, they are often hidden from view. However, once you do locate them, they are available for public use, and many of them have been painted with bright colors and fun designs, adding an extra element of fun.
Always up for a challenge and enamored with all the local street art in the area it was my mission to explore these stairways and add them to my LA “collection.”
It’s easy to stay on the path if you create it yourself!
I had some very specific spots in mind, so created my own route through the hills. I admit to some initial trial and error, but in the end I came up with a route, which combines art, fitness and coffee! However, if you prefer it the other way around, you can always start with coffee…
This just over 2 mile walk will take you up and down just over 1000 steep stairs. Proper shoes and attire are recommended.
Step by Step Directions:
1. But First, Coffee. Alfred Coffee 3337 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90026
Direction: Coffee, or not, you decide, and then head to your first stop which is across the street.
2. Micheltorena Stairs 3400 Sunset Boulevard (Up 205 Steps)
Direction: You’ll be crossing at the corner of Sunset and Micheltorena and as soon as you cross head left walk a few steps and you’ll come to the Micheltorena staircase. Go up…
3. Descanso Stairs (Down 139 steps)
4. Music Box Steps (Down 133 steps)
Direction: At the bottom of the Music Box Steps take a right onto N. Vendome Street and walk towards Sunset Boulevard. Turn left on Sunset Boulevard and cross the street using the crosswalk at Descanso Drive.
5. Stair Tempo Staircase 3229 Sunset Boulevard (Up 90 steps)
Direction: Walk along Sunset until you come to 3229 Sunset and head up the stairs towards Hamilton Way. Go right at the top of Stair Tempo and your next set of stairs (up 102 steps) will be on your left. Take them up to Elevado Street and go left. Go left again onto Westerly Terrace.
6.The Swan Stairs, Parts 1, 2 & 3
Part 1 – Swan Place 2958 Swan Place (Up 77 steps)
Direction: You’ll find Part one of the Swan Stairs at the intersection of Westerly Terrance and Swan Place. Go up… At the top veer left and you’ll find part two is just across the street at 1802 Redesdale Avenue. Go up again… At the top veer left and you’ll find part three is just across the street at 1784 Rotary Drive. Go up, yet again…
Part 2 – 1802 Redesdale Avenue (Up 110 steps)
Part 3 – 1784 Rotary Drive (Up 100 steps)
7. Its Time to Head back…
Once you’ve conquered the Swan Stairs you’ll be working your way back through the hills towards Alfred Coffee.
- Don’t go back down the stairs tho! continue forward by taking a left onto Webster Ave,
- left on Dillon Street,
- right on Effie Street and,
- left on Cicero Drive.
- walk to the end of the cul-de-sac and you’ll find a staircase on your right (down 90 steps),
- At the bottom of the stairs go left onto Redcliff Street,
- right onto Murray Drive,
- right onto Berkeley Avenue and,
- finally a left back onto Micheltorena Street. You’ll find Alfred Coffee at the corner of Micheltorena Street and Sunset Boulevard.
There are many other hidden and painted stairways throughout Silver Lake and the greater Los Angeles area just waiting to be collected, and once I do, I’ll be sure to update with photos and locations!
Pin for later:
Take me with you!