You’ll feel a world away from the hustle and bustle of Los Angeles when you visit the Malibu Creek State Park, which is tucked away in the Malibu Canyon. Part of the Santa Monica Mountains Recreational Area, and only 25 miles from Downtown Los Angeles the Park features swimming, hiking, fishing, bird watching, mountain biking, camping, and horseback riding. Of course being so close to LA it’s no surprise that this scenic area was once used to film many of the famous television shows and movies that we know and love.
The 20th Century Fox film How Green Was My Valley was filmed here in 1941 and shortly thereafter Fox Entertainment purchased the property, which became known as the 20th Century Fox Ranch. Moves and television shows continued to be filmed in the Park after the State of California bought the property in 1974 including: M*A*S*H, Planet of the Apes, Doctor Doolittle, Pleasantville, Batman, Anchorman and so many more.
There are hiking opportunities for all fitness levels, including 15 miles of stream side trails, and along the way you’ll be treated to views of the valley, canyon and scenic pools.
Century Lake was named in honor of the Park’s former owners.
Although many areas of the park were damaged in the tragic wildfires that tore through the area in late 2018, the area is well on its way to recovery.
Tips and Useful information
- Bring Water and wear appropriate foot attire. Trails on the easy hikes are wide and smooth, but appropriate foot attire is a good idea.
- The Visitor Center is open Saturday and Sunday from noon to 4:00 pm.
- All day parking is $12.00 per car, per day, or there is an hourly rate.
- Restrooms and a drink machine are located in the parking area.
- Dogs on a leash are allowed in the park’s day use areas and campground. Dogs are not allowed on the backcountry trails or dirt roads.
- The park is on Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon Road, and can be located from the Pacific Coast Highway via Malibu Canyon Road, or from Highway 101. The Address is: 1925 Las Virgenes Road, Calabasas, CA 91302